WiFi: 5GHz only?

Currently, we support both, 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi.

For the past competitions, 2.4 GHz has often been found to be unreliable and ensuring to have it working puts extra-work for technical committee and network management during competitions.

Therefore, I would like to specify in the rule that only 5GHz WiFi should be used for competition, this would make things more clear for team and simpler for organization.

According to this years voting during the competition, it was clear that many teams still rely on 2.4GHz WiFi. Seeing as the usage of the referee box will be enforced this year, it is necessary to give all of the teams a possibility to use whatever their hardware supports.
On a side note, we have experienced this year that the range on the 5GHz WiFi is insufficient for the AdultSize field (the connection was being dropped at the far corner of the field). Also, if 2.4G is removed and anything breaks with the 5G network, all of the games need to be postponed until they are resolved, instead of just switching from 5G to 2.4G, which will cause schedule problems.

Thank you for pointing out the issue of the range on the 5 GHz field, I was not aware of that one.

We had not experienced broken 5 GHz in situations where 2.4 GHz was functional.

From my point of view, this definitely pushes toward the need of keeping both.