Topic: Add a penalty box, include penalty kicks?
- Problem: Too many penalty kicks might slow down the game
- Suggestion: Suspend the penalty kick, maybe have a free kick instead but from the penalty mark?
- Having more lines (when adding the penalty box) would help the localization
- Our lines are currently not too scale, so for Kid and TeenSize the field could be too small right now
- Proposal to revise the size of KidSize and TeenSize goal
- It’s not just the size of the field but also the size of the robot that is important for the goal height
- Would a smaller goal make the goal keeper more active? Could go both ways
- Takeaway: Size of goal area and goal itself should be revised so it looks more reasonable and encourage an active goal keeper.
Topic: Suspending TeenSize in 2020
- Proposal to merge TeenSize in Kid and AdultSize league
- KidSize minimum height will not be raised
Class A/ B division
- Moving between the two classes might be quite challenging
- Proposal: use Drop-In games for seeding
- Is there a better way to measure the performance of the robot, because there seems to be a lot of randomness in the results
- Most of the teams playing in the QF in KidSize are actually among the top 8 teams in Drop-In
- If we move towards having Drop-In in the beginning next year, it would be only one robot required in the beginning
- Having judges instead of the simple metric we have right now for Drop-In?
- Can we use last year’s result for seeding?
- Maybe both last year’s result and Drop-In seeding, 4 and 4?
- Last year’s results are a good indicator, but we should still allow teams to advance
Topic: Number of fields
- Drop-in back to back -> problems with charging batteries
- Too many games per day this year in general
- Some of the problem were due to the small number of fields
- Provide parts of a field for testing, half of a field maybe?
- Allowing to reserve the entire field and longer field reservations?
Topic: Increase the field for KidSize?
- Increase the field for Drop-In?
- If we increase the field size, we should see passes and team play
- Can we encourage team play more?
- Give teams points for using communication?
- Forcing team communication protocol?
- Can we really afford to exclude teams? What would be the exclusion criteria?
- Problems for teams with few people/low resources?
- The idea has been around for a long tine and it seems a lot of teams have interest in that
- What does implementing a protocol mean? How accurate does the data sending need to be
- Making it mandatory can also mean to only allow a certain protocol format of sending data
- A mandatory format would make measuring the roadmap goals easier
- It should be easy to adapt the protocol to not kill the “creativity” of teams
- The protocol we have should be improved
Topic: Technical Challenges
- More bottles should be available, especially heavier masses
- It may also be time to replace it
- Push recovery is still very relevant to RoboCup, why should we remove it?
- Maybe we can come up with a better way of testing the balancing abilities of your robot?
- Potential improvement: Have the weight moved by a motor instead of human to reduce error
- It’s not exciting for audience
- Are there other ways to measure the balance of a robot?
- Balancing on a bongoboard?
- Walking on a balance beam?
- Berg balancing scale for the elderly (problem: might be pre-recorded animations manually optimized)
- Really walking forward with the robot and have an area where it is hit and it has to stay within that area
- Should still allow for capture steps
- Hit the robot with a stick with a force sensor
- Walk on uneven terrain instead of push recovery, for example putting something under the grass
- Proposals should still be related to soccer
- Look into literature that already exist (Eurobench for example)
- Goal kick from moving ball:
- Many successful trials with two robots, so two robots should be made mandatory
- Is already implemented in the regular games (corner kick)
- High Jump:
- Is too straining for the robots, should maybe replaced
- Was supposed to be a first step towards running robots
- Is that really true? The first step would rather be to walk on uneven terrain
- Landing is also very important, maybe there could be a landing challenge, jumping down from something (problem jumping forward doesn’t work yet)
- Problem with current approaches: mostly static animation tuning - should involve motion planning, not keyframe motion
- Could be more hardware oriented? Shift some emphasis
- Proposal Add a real grass challenge?
Topic: Open Source
- Teams should be enforced more strictly
- Problem of commercial interest
- Announcement of the ball was quite short before the competition
- Random ball?
- At least not known before the competition to encourage teams to develop their approaches more independent of a specific ball
- Random ball and earlier announcement both difficult
- Technical Challenge: Random ball challenge, encourage teams to bring balls for the challenge
- If KidSize is merged with TeenSize, would they play with size 1 or size 3?
- Size 2 is difficult to get, size 3 too big
Topic: Strategic usage of pick-up
- Problem: Pick-ups still used too often strategically by teams without severe reason
- Proposal: pick up for a robot just sitting on field shouldn't be allowed anymore, it should stay sitting/laying around there
- too many robots on the floor are hard to detect and dangerous as well
- Alternative: longer penalty to dis-encourage teams to use a pick-up strategically for re-localization
- Alternative: re-entry only during game stoppage
- It gets easier for the referee if robots are only allowed to enter during game stoppage
- Is not really nice for the audience if too many robots are absent
- Encourage referee more to change the sides at which the robots go back in
- Too difficult for the referees?
- Assistant referee can also take the decision were the robot should go back in
- Could disturb the game because robot handlers need to be running around too much
- Waiting for the next game stoppage would be very harsh in adult size
- Rules should not diverge too much from FIFA rules
- Currently too many robot handler running over the field
- Require robot handlers to run outside the field
- Different penalty for robots taken out during stoppage of game?
Topic: Natural light
- Natural light should be pushed further – bordeuax has covered area without walls, so natural light with wind condition
- Logistic might be difficult because we need a lot of games there no matter what the weather is
- Many teams had trouble already this year, natural light is a very difficult problem
- maybe should be defined to not have shadows, since shadows are very difficult to handle
- Teams with more advanced cameras have an advantage, might not be just software
- same applies for other components, too
- Penalty marker seem too close to the goal box, they should be positioned a bit further towards the center circle
- Would be desirable to have a minimum width for the goal posts which is wider than line width
- Center of mass is measured in the walking pose, which doesn’t make that much sense
- Different tool to measure weight of robots
- often lot of information missing in TDPs
- make some survey to question teams about different parts to get beeter overview what teams are using
- maybe advance the robot specification sheet
- Ask champions about in depth system report
- AdultSize Drop-In had too many Drop-In matches with too few teams